Frequently Asked Questions

There are questions to be answered, here they are.

Read on to see our most popular FAQs

You need an ABN before you can register a business name.

If you have already registered for an ABN and lost your details, the easiest way is to look up via this tool.

You can register a business in under 10 minutes using SUMB.

That's a really good question, and it really depends on your individual circumstances.

A business name is a name under which you identify/operate your business. Unless you trade under your own name, you must register a business name.

You need to register for GST if you run a business or enterprise and your GST turnover is $75,000 or more ($150,000 for a not-for profit).

Under the pay-as-you-go (PAYG) withholding rules, you have an obligation to collect tax from the payments you make to your employees (and some businesses) so they can meet their end-of-year tax liabilities. You will need to register for PAYG before you make your first payment that is subject to withholding.

A Tax File Number (TFN) identifies you for tax and superannuation purposes. It's your tax identity. You keep the same TFN even if you change your name, change jobs, move interstate or go overseas. You will need a TFN to start an Australian business.

If you're an employer and you provide fringe benefits to you provide fringe benefits to your employees, you may have to pay fringe benefits tax. Some of the circumstances where you may have to pay FBT include:
  • Cars
  • Car Leasing
  • Car Parking
  • Entertainment
  • Expense Payments
  • Debt Waiver
  • Loans
  • Housing/Property
  • Living Away from home allowance

A trust is a structure where a trustee carries out the business on behalf of the trust’s members (or beneficiaries).

In Australia, a discretionary trust is a common structure to run a business because it offers many taxation advantages such as the flexibility to distribute profit to different beneficiaries (including streaming of dividends to a particular individual(s)), the ability to access significant capital gains tax concessions and stream those capital gains to a particular beneficiary.

A trustee is responsible for everything in the trust, including income and losses. A trustee may be an individual or a company. The trustee is legally liable for the debts of the trust and may use its assets to meet those debts.

Ask a question on facebook link to chat to the team, or chat to a qualified accountant for guidance here. We can also organise for a qualified accountant guide you to decide what you need and do it all for you. Learn more about it from here.

Your business domain (we suggest a .com.au or .au domain) will be your "business go-to" online. This is what your website will be and what your clients will be searching for to look for content on your business and services they can avail of and ways to find you and contact you.

You can choose from a wide range of .com, .com.au, .au and other domain extensions to attach to your business name that will serve as your website.

For example:
your business name is called "My Random Business", you can register "myrandombusiness.com" or "myrandombusiness.com.au" or "myrandombusiness.au" as your domain website and your clients will be able to find you on search engines online.

Register your own website domain in minutes!

Get your own business website domain for your online success. 
Create your SUMB login and get started with your business!

We’ll take care of everything you need to set up your Website Domain Registration.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram